Tomatoes “White filling”: description, cultivation agricultural technique
Tomato is one of the most popular vegetables on our table. With it, great salads, borscht, winter preserves and many dishes are obtained. In the article we will talk about the next masterpiece of breeders, a variety of tomatoes White filling, which is rapidly gaining popularity.
White filling was first tested in 1969 in Kazakhstan. The variety has several advantages: early ripeness, resistance to cold, high yield.
- It belongs to the determinant type, that is, it has limited growth. This means that as soon as an ovary with fruits forms on the shoot, it ceases to grow further. Thus, there is no need for the gardener to cut off the excess empty branches taking the juices from the fruiting branches.
- The stem is strong, in open ground grows up to 50 cm in length, in a greenhouse - up to 70 cm. The roots are powerful and spread up to half a meter wide.
- Light green leaves, medium size and do not have villi.
- Fruits have a rounded shape and red color. When ripe, the color is milky white, which served as the name for the variety. The pulp is dense, fleshy and juicy, with a slight sour taste.
- Since the peel is dense, and the weight of one tomato reaches 120 g, this variety is considered one of the best for canning.
- The variety is considered a champion in early maturity, as it ripens early and quickly. Only about three months after transplanting seedlings - and you can harvest.
Advantages and disadvantages
- Advantages of tomato:
- rapid ripening (from 80 to 100 days);
- the height of the tomato bush reaches half a meter, which allows you not to fit supports to it;
- can be grown in greenhouses and outdoors;
- high productivity (up to 4 kg from one bush);
- fruits are strong and not prone to cracking;
- excellent taste and versatility of use;
- good disease resistance;
- the crop is stored for a long time and well transported.
- after the appearance of new, modern varieties, it no longer seems so fruitful;
- having good immunity, the tomato is still sick from raw seeds.
Seedlings can be grown independently. To do this, they buy and reject seeds, determine the timing of sowing, purchase containers and begin to plant.
Since the variety is early, it is better to engage in sowing from early March to early April. Such terms are due to the fact that by the time of planting in open ground seedlings should be "completed" 60 days. Do not trust the calendar, make sure that belated frosts do not ruin your crop.Only in greenhouses can tomatoes be planted a few weeks earlier than good weather sets.
White filling tomatoes require oxygen-rich soil with low acidity.
Important! The soil is decontaminated a week before planting seeds.
The method of calcination up to 100 degrees is suitable for disinfection. When the soil cools down, it can be populated with beneficial microflora. For example, pour a solution of Fitosporin of low concentration (2 tbsp. L of the drug per 10 l of water). After the soil is prepared, phosphorus is applied to each well.
Capacity for growing
Paper cups or peat tablets are best for seedlings. Then they can be planted in the ground without being removed from the tanks. Since the material is organic, it will decompose over time and will not harm the environment.
In the process of maturation, it may happen that the container becomes small to a germ before the time comes to plant it. In this case, place the sprout in a larger container.
To disinfect the seed, dilute a weak solution of potassium permanganate and lower the seeds there for 2 hours. Then they are washed under running water and dried. You can sprinkle seeds with growth stimulants, but this is not necessary.
Seeds in the prescribed period are planted in warm soil to a depth of 2 cm. The distance between the seats should also be at least two centimeters. The landing pattern is chess or double row.
Did you know? In the wild, tomato fruits are small and weigh only one gram. You can not say about its cultural relatives: the weight of some copies reaches a kilogram!
After planting, the seeds are well watered and immediately covered with a film or glass to form condensate. In such conditions, sprouts appear faster. It is very important that the temperature does not fall below +23 degrees during the period of seed germination.
After emergence, the film is removed.
Seed containers are placed on the windowsill, with access to sunlight, not darkened. Watering depends on environmental conditions and is carried out as necessary. Do not allow the earth to dry out, but you do not need to fill the seedlings either.
Also make sure that water does not fall on the leaves when watering. As soon as the sprouts appear on two strong leaves, this means that the time has come for pinching.
The temperature should not exceed +22 degrees, these are optimal conditions for seedlings. Every 14 days, it is necessary to fertilize with special fertilizers for seedlings, for example, Fertika Lux (the solution is prepared at the rate of 1 tablespoon of the drug per 10 liters of water).
Hardening is needed if the seedlings go to the open ground. They begin to carry it out a week before the proposed landing: they take it out into the air, first for an hour, then for several hours, and so gradually the time will increase until daylight hours.
Planting seedlings in a permanent place
Tomatoes are planted in late spring and early summer, depending on the weather and the climate of your region. It is not worth rushing to land, so as not to get frozen, but there is no need to pull much - the plant will go to growth, and not to strength.
If you are not a beginner of gardening, then you can choose a suitable soil for the White filling from under the following crops:
- White cabbage;
- all kinds of legumes;
With such predecessors, tomato bushes await nutritious soil, and you have a rich harvest. The place should be sunny so that all the juices go into the fruit, and not into the growth of the bushes. Unsuitable beds are those on which eggplants and potatoes grew.
Before planting, it is best to apply a scheme of 40 cm by 50 cm - one seat. The soil is prepared in parallel with the hardening of seedlings: sprinkle evenly the soil with humus, compost or wood ash. Fertilizer volume per 1 sq. M. equal to the volume of a standard bucket.In each hole, you can additionally put a handful of humus with one tbsp. a spoon of ash. If you do not have such fertilizer at hand, then use the purchased mixture.
Did you know? The tomato is a member of the nightshade family, as are tobacco and potatoes.
Fertilizers are mixed with soil, the well is poured with settled water without sediment, then they are waiting for the water to be absorbed. Now the place is ready to take shoots.
Features of outdoor cultivation
Open ground is dangerous for tomatoes with unpredictability, weather and temperature extremes. Do not worry and postpone planting, with proper care, the harvest will delight.
Watering is done every three days, irrigating not so much the leaves as the root zone. The amount of watering is 2-3 liters per bush. If the weather is rainy, the watering schedule is adjusted.
In greenhouses, watering can be drip. Such a system can be built independently using plastic bottles. In open ground, often furrowed, especially if the bushes are bogged down.This method allows you not to pour water on the leaves, but to feed only the roots.
Fertilizer for tomatoes is a must, and not only root dressings are useful for tomatoes, but also those that spray the leaves. If the bushes develop well, then for the first time they fertilize the soil three weeks after planting in the ground. If you notice that the bushes are weak, you can feed earlier.Useful fertilizers:
- Mullein infusion, which is added to the roots. Method of preparation: 1 part of cow manure is bred in 5 parts of water, the container is tightly closed and the mixture is insisted for two weeks, stirring daily. After diluted in water in a ratio of 1:10, add superphosphate (100 g per 10 l of water), let it brew for 1 hour. Each bush accounts for approximately 1 liter of fertilizer.
- Nettle tincture. Fresh grass is poured with water at the rate of 1: 2 and insisted in a barrel for 7 days.
- Infused Wood Ash. 500 ml sifted ash is thrown into a bucket of water, two teaspoons of boric acid are added and mixed. After the composition is infused, it is diluted with water another 10 times. About 1000 ml of infusion is poured under each bush.
- Bordeaux fluid. She is sprayed with leaves to fight diseases: late blight, cladosporiosis.
You should not often feed the White filling with organic fertilizers rich in nitrogen (bird droppings, cow and horse manure). They should be alternated with other options listed in the list. Otherwise, you risk creating a gorgeous spreading bush, but without tomatoes.
Many beginner gardeners are wondering: do you need to pinch tomatoes White filling or not. So, experienced agricultural technicians claim that it is enough to just remove the spoiled lower leaves: yellowed, dry, with spots.
Important! If your region is characterized by a short summer period, then the stepsons are still harvested, forming a bush of several stems.
Tomatoes need weeding from weeds and loosening of the root zone, which will enrich the soil with oxygen. After each watering, it is advisable to loosen the ground. But it’s even better to keep the soil under a layer of mulch. Mulching is carried out in greenhouses in order to accelerate the ripening of the crop and its volumes.In the open ground, this procedure also provides yield, and also saves your efforts to care for the beds. The soil under a layer of peat, straw or humus will be protected from drying out, from the constant growth of weed grass.
Inside the covering surface there will be its own microclimate suitable for humidity and temperature, favorable for the root system.
Thus, mulched beds do not need weeding and cultivation. Before the fruits ripen, it is advisable to spruce the bushes with moist soil, so that the side roots develop. This will increase the influx of trace elements and provide the tomato with additional nutrition.
But not all gardeners do this procedure, since there is a risk of exposure of the main root. In addition, irrigated plants will have to be watered using an irrigation furrow, which is not suitable for everyone.
A garter to the pegs is not a prerequisite, but it is necessary so that a strong wind or powerful rain does not fall down the bush. Tomatoes will be in the mud, and the bush itself may be damaged. As for greenhouses, there are nuances - the bush grows higher than in open ground, and can heel under the weight of the fruit.
A garter is made when the bush has reached 30 cm. To a dug next to the bushes the pegs are tied with a twine to the stem in several places, but not tight, but only to keep it upright.
The processing of bushes from pests is useful to do in the fall.The range of activities includes:
- preliminary weeding of weed grass;
- digging ground with wood ash;
- special land cultivation.
Seedlings three weeks before planting should be sprayed with a half-percent solution of copper sulfate or Bordeaux fluid.
The smell of nasturtium perfectly repels pests. Therefore, such a flower can be planted in the neighborhood.
Growing tomatoes is a laborious and troublesome task. This fact does not depend on whether you planted White Bulk in greenhouses or in open ground. Selection and rejection of seeds, preparation of seed, care of seedlings and already replanted bushes, soil preparation - all these are important and difficult stages.
But, having coped with them, you will get high productivity, strong quality fruits and the pleasure of your own garden, where your tomatoes now grow.